Sport is fundamental to Australia’s society, culture and economy. Participation in sport improves mental and physical health, enhances community well-being and contributes significantly to employment.
- Australian Sports Commission
What does that mean?
The Value of Sport seeks to quantify the wealth and health of the nation. What is the GDP of sport in Australia? What are the tangible health benefits of participating in sport and recreation?
Benefits to the health and wealth of Australians by participating in sport include:
- Decreased blood pressure.
- Reduced stress levels.
- Improved health status and thus decreased use of health care services leading to reduced costs of health care to employer (if these services are provided to employees).
- Improved workplace morale and workplace culture.
- Reduced injuries and or work-related accidents.
- Reduced absenteeism.
- Improved staff recruitment/retention.
- Increased productivity.
- Enhanced quality and/or quantity.